Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Palletizer Operator in Longview, Texas
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging, which delivers more than just a cold drink. We pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Performs tasks and provides services to support the plant’s production goals, overall business plans and objectives as directed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies, and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Performs duties as required to insure compliance with the plant’s quality standards.
- Performs routine manual or mechanical production functions necessary to operate the production equipment to meet customer specifications.
- Assists maintainer in performing maintenance on production equipment as required.
- Stages and maintains packaging materials and follows correct packaging/banding procedures.
- Inputs data on a computer terminal to identify, label, and palletize finished products.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Conducts inspection of in-process or finished product.
- May assist in making major adjustments or mechanical repairs to production equipment.
- Responsible for replenishing supplies required for assigned area.
- Performs record keeping duties as required under the direction of management.
- May operate can line briquetter. Ensures briquetter is running properly. Removes all briquettes from the conveyor, stacks briquettes on pallets according to scrap class, and weighs and tags scrap pallets for shipment.
- May operate end line baler and slug accumulator. Removes all bales and loads them onto trailer. Removes/replaces accumulation boxes for slugs, and weighs and tags accumulation boxes for shipment.
- May restack and load empty coil pallets for return to aluminum suppliers.
- May prepare for shipment returnable drums, totes, and vendor return loads.
- Performs clean-up, painting, and housekeeping duties.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- May be required to rotate among specific operator assignments within the department as needed. Relieves operators for breaks.
- Supplies and maintains required hand tools.
- May be required to go to customer(s) to troubleshoot equipment and/or finished cans.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- Required work assigned schedule or 12-hour shifts, rotating days and nights. Monday through Sunday, working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on-call as directed by management.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Works under close supervision.
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to meet the knowledge, skills, abilities, physical requirements, and working conditions set forth in this position description and on the attached Physical Demands Assessment.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status assigned responsibilities.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Job-related experience for 2 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: nomenclature of all assigned equipment and products.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard can and end making techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Ability to learn operating principles of all assigned equipment.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Ability to learn nomenclature of all assigned equipment, products, and quality standards.
- Ability to learn to identify product defects.
- Proficient in the use of hand and power tools.
- Ability to operate fork truck and aero lift if required.
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics.
- May require forklift license.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to details.
- Must have sufficient endurance to perform tasks over long periods of time.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Palletizer Operator
Job ID: 663064
Location: TX - Longview
Full/Part Time: Full-Time