Oceaneering Inspector II in Houston, Texas
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The Inspector II inspects offshore/onshore structures, vessels, pipelines, and their appurtenances for structural and coating condition, as per API RP 2SIM & API RP 2FPS.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Examine materials or products for anomalies, damage, or defects, such as cracks, pits, incomplete welds, holes, dents, excessive corrosion, examines coating conditions, etc. under minimal supervision.
- Work with diving contractors or individually to perform various inspections, surveys and record data of offshore structures, vessels and pipelines. Will receive direction from inspection team leader in situations requiring more than one person.
- May act as an inspection team leader in situations requiring more than one person.
- Perform cathodic protection surveys of offshore structures, vessels and pipelines using a “drop-cell” technique.
- Use NDT, camera, video and written documentation techniques in the inspection and survey of offshore/onshore structures, vessels and pipelines.
- Create appropriate drawings and sketches to supplement written data.
- Use and maintain various types of inspection equipment.
- Generate inspection reports using various computer software applications.
- Keeps inspection data organized.
- Working at least 180 days per year offshore, usually on a non-rotational basis, i.e., there is no set schedule and the duration of a given job is not fixed. Travel to offshore locations by vessel or aircraft.
- Time not spent offshore is generally spent in the office generating CAIRS inspection reports. (CAIRS is an acronym for Computer Aided Inspection Reporting Software)
- May learn and utilize rope access techniques (optional) where ropes and specialized hardware are used as the primary means of providing access, structural or mechanical inspection, and support to other workers.
- Performing inspection support work as needed.
- May test mechanisms for sturdiness, clearance, and freedom of movement.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED); and one (2) years related NDT experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one of the following NDT certifications is required: ACFM, Eddy Current, VT, PT, MT. UT or RT
- At least one of the following Rope Access Certifications is required: IRATA or SPRAT.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a TWIC card, valid Passport, Safe Gulf & HUET Water Survival.
- Must be able to work in harsh environments.
- Basic computer knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Use computer and various software applications to prepare, check, and package various types of inspection and survey reports.
- Continuously learn and improve office and computer skills.
- NACE OCAT, ASNT Certifications preferred
This position is considered OFFSHORE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively outdoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Occasional expiosure to confined spaces
- Frequent exposure to elevated heights
- Occasional noise over 85 decibels
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered HEAVYwork.
- Lift up to 100 pounds
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and reaching
- Elbows flexed with wrists unsupported
- Lift up to 25-50 pounds
- Elbows flexed with wrists supported
- Lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive movements of arms and hands
- Sit with back supported
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Inspector II
Location: Houston, Texas
Job ID: 12813
Full/Part Time: Full-Time