Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Manager Plant Quality Assurance in Fort Worth, Texas
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging, which delivers more than just a cold drink. We pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
Reynolds Metals Company built the Ft. Worth facility in 1976 for Miller Brewing Company. The plant was built to supply 12 ounce cans to Miller’s Ft. Worth brewery. It was modernized in 1990 to upgrade technology and increase productivity. In 1993, Miller sold it to Reynolds Metals Company and the plant continued to supply Miller’s Ft. Worth brewery. In 1997, the plant was modernized to increase productivity, and acquired by Ball in 1998.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety meetings, performing monthly safety inspections, and investigating accidents, as required.
- The plant quality assurance manager or designee is to be trained and certified in the food safety system and oversees its development, implementation, review and maintenance. Provides for trained backups in the case of absence of key food safety system employees.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of the quality assurance function in the plant and its interface with the group office.
- Establishes and maintains quality assurance standard procedures, methods, facility and equipment to meet customer requirements.
- Establishes and maintains a customer relations program in plant matters relating to quality.
- Directs and implements quality training and development programs to maintain the competence and technical skills required for the effective performance of the plant quality assurance department.
- Establishes and analyzes quality areas, including quality goals, quality problems, defective materials, claims and customer quality problems. Advises plant management and the manufacturing department of the results of such analysis.
- Oversees the application and administration of the Infinity system within the plant, if applicable.
- Works with material suppliers on quality issues and cost reductions.
- Administers customer and vendor claim reimbursement systems.
- Performs leaker awareness training at the customer level.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence that will discourage third party interference or establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence with employees, their union steward, and representatives which will promote achievement of plant and company goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually 5 days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for effective management, including provision for selection and development of employees, salary administration, budget administration, employee safety, employee counseling, motivation, meeting objectives, planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed within the organization.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management.
- Communication. Ability to communicate effectively, write effectively, read, comprehend, and follow complicated verbal and written instructions.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Communicates with the emergency coordinator (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC, EFP/EM. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in a related professional field usually acquired through college level education or work related experience.
- Job-related experience for 4 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: company policies, procedures, and products; quality assurance principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures; generally accepted managerial practices and procedures; business principles, legal practices, customer needs and expectations.
- Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard plant quality assurance techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Ability to negotiate with customers to promote or sell ideas or concepts.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
Requires short-term and long-term domestic travel. (20% travel)
Relocation for this position is Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Manager Plant Quality Assurance
Job ID: 662848
Location: TX - Fort Worth
Full/Part Time: Full-Time